For this task I was asked to create an ephemera 16 page booklet for a fake event that would be hosted by DesignBoom. This event was called Super 7 and is about celebrating the best in graphic design, the book will be directed towards graphic designers and convey the meaning from DesignBoom, here is my design process for the book…


I knew what typeface I wanted to use,  because I was already inspired from the NMD project I saw on Behance, the typeface  I used was Futura, expanding from that I wanted to to experiment with spacing between letters and breaking up words. The idea was to see how braking up the letters effected the legibility and to how it conveyed to the reader,  understanding this, I wanted to see how far I could take it without loosing legibility, you can see the results later in my post.


Taking my research into DesignBoom magazines, I could see it was technical,  in a sense playful and modern, so I wanted to capture this in my design. My starting point was lines because it is modern and simple to read, but I wanted to have another look within the magazines to get some inspiration, looking through the architectural images I noticed that some of the designs had a thiner and thicker lines featured in the work, which I then took and start playing around with. After some successful compositions, I decided to mix my typography in with my thiner and thicker lines then started experimenting between the two, by using tension between the lines and typography. I progressed further by using  tension and putting it  into a composition, which became my front cover, which in my opinion shows that the event is modern, playful and technical, that fits into the idea of DesignBoom magazines.


For each spread I took components from the front cover and played around with them, using composition, tension and layering. This also allowed me to be experimental with each spread, by using components from the front cover it allowed me to stay consistent as well as being playful with my design, you can  see the effect of this throughout my book. The only issue I had with my book  was there was to much information, especially for Jessica Walsh, it really did limit the experimental side of the book, which frustrated me but I played around with the design and was able to find answers to the problems, I had the right balance of  page and information on each spread.


During my journey through the design process of this booklet I realised over time how limited and refined the actual design would be, which frustrated me, so I found a way to react to these frustrating limitations. I didn’t like the paper I was originally given, so I purchased my own pink paper, which felt had good value and liked. My second limitation was the colour pallet which I again I was not happy with, using black/white on coloured paper. So I rebelled against this rule and decided to use a darker blue which made a really beautiful partnership.


Printing my book was a real learning curve, due to all the problems I faced,  firstly being unable to print at home, then unable to do it in uni because it had the old version of indesign and then taking it to the print studio that kept jamming because the paper was to thick, only till I brought this issue to Neil, he was able to provide me with the answer to my problem for home printing, the solution was that I was printing on long side binding and really I should be printing on short side binding, learning this allowed me to finally print my book with no problems and move onto binding it with staples which is suitable since its a ephemera booklet, here is the final booklet for DesignBoom…..



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s